Enter The Void (2009)


This is the strangest movie I've ever seen. Even the opening credits blew me away because of how strange and how amazingly good they are. The whole movie is depicted from the point of view of the main character. By this I don't mean that the cinematography represents the main characters viewpoint I mean it's as if the camera is exactly what he is seeing and the sound, what he is hearing. This might sound like it could get boring but it doesn't, trust me. I went into this movie experience knowing absolutely nothing about the film except that I had heard it was weird. I think that was a good way to see it so I don't want to elaborate a whole lot on the film because not being informed definitely impacted my viewing of it in a good way. That being said I'm going to apologize for any vagueness.

The main character is an unorthodox protagonist for a film. He's not really a hero but neither is he an anti-hero, if you met him in real life you might not want to be his friend but I don't think you'd find him particularly appalling either. If this film had been done much differently it would have been as boring as that sounds, but it's not. At times I wanted to stop the film and put on Jersey Shore just so I had something else to watch, but I couldn't. It pulls you in and leaves you in a stupor for the rest of the day. The script is sparse and light but the story is heavy and dark. The characters intertwine in ways neither you nor they are aware of or expect. A large amount of the film is psychedelic video art that reminds me of an exhibit I saw by Nam June Paik last year which made me rethink the boundaries of art. At times the movie does such a good job of this that it almost feels as if you are on copious amounts of hallucinogenic drugs wandering through Tokyo (something I've never done but I can only imagine it's something like this film). The rest of Enter The Void tells the life story of one person, from their point of view, in a completely non-linear fashion. I'm going to repeat myself, there is no succinct timeline for the film... at all, and the psychedelic scenes are mixed in with these already mixed up bits of life.

There are numerous reasons for why I shouldn't have liked this film but I did. The images and sounds are incredible, graphic, and vibrant; the story is unique, heartfelt, and disturbing as are the characters. The whole thing is incredibly sexual, violent, and surreal all at the same time. It leaves you wanting more and needing to shut down your brain at the same time. To conclude, you should see this, but do so knowing that it is going to take something out of you, you will be disturbed, and I can only hope you like it as much as I did, though I understand any body disliking it. It's not a movie that can described in any accuracy but must be seen to be understood.

WARNING: This movie contains a great deal of bright flashing lights and other visual effects that may induce an epileptic seizure.

1 comment:

  1. When I saw this in theaters last year, I felt like my insides had been hollowed out and I was just a floating shell.

    No drugs involved.

    That was...something else.

    ReplyDelete